Sunday, September 4, 2016

Digital Blog Post #A - Chapter 1

Digital Blog Post #A - Chapter 1

After reading the first chapter of Transforming Learning with New Technologies 2nd Edition and watching the videos of the class modules I realized that the classroom setting have changed a lot since I was a kid in school. One way they have changed is by embracing technology and using it as a tool for the students to learn. Starting with concept of using using software and programs to create visual stimulations for example Google Docs, Powerpoint and videos in the classroom. This may also include having laptops, tablets or another form of newer technology for students to use in the classroom while the teacher is giving a lecture using those particular software or programs. As a student I like to feel and see things to better grasp and idea. I think by having more interaction and good visual aid its easier to remember and also fun to learn. I think being read to from a book or just coping what is on the board does not stimulate the mind because of boredom or little interaction. Having technology and programs is a great way to help the teacher provide more interaction with the student and create a fun learning experience.  

Having E-books or E-Text in my opinion is an amazing thing. I get so excited finding a book I want to learn from an ebook or a finding story I want to read right on my phone, kindle, tablet even my laptop. You no longer as a student stress about losing the book, traveling and having a heavy backpack. You can read or study in the dark and not have to disturb those around you. You can read anywhere, well except while driving. I would imagine it is also a money saver for the school because lost or damaged books no longer have to be replaced. E-book have no physical storage so the schools can utilize the spaces. What I think is useful to having ebooks is student can highlight the books they read or bookmark them to return or ask questions later on. This is a tool that can be used inside and outside of the classrooms. 

As a student I would have never thought of contacting my teacher for help on an assignment. Growing up it would be mom or dad, and there was no google or apps at the time. Today students have such an advantage to reach out to their teacher as simple as sending an email. As of today I see the concept of a teacher’s blog or discussion group set up for the class. This is mind-blowing to me because of the great advantage being used where a student can ask questions and the teacher or even other students can help advise on the discussion boards. This I feel develops a closeness with each other and continues the learning to be outside of the classroom. Another great advantage is if one student has a question maybe someone else has the same question, but is too shy to ask this would help them immensely. 

I love learning and I love showing others the new things that are out there if you just look. Being able to teach students to use the new technology in that way would change peoples lives for the better. Growing up in school when beepers and cellphones were just beginning to be used they were frowned upon in school and taken away. I think the mindset of teachers and schools are changing because technology is now a way to reach out and help assist in teaching so student are no longer bored and unstimulated; but hungry for the new information. Students can receive and the new ways they can interact with their fellow students and teacher. It truly makes me wish I could have grown up and was in school now a child; however that is impossible and what I can do with my passion for technology and learning is feed the minds of future students. 

References

Maloy, R. W., Verock-O’Loughlin, R.-E., Amherst, M., Edwards, S. A., Woolf, P., & Woolf, B. P. (2013). Transforming learning with new technologies (with MyEducationKit) (2nd ed.). Boston: Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment